Archive

Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

How Students In Wheelchairs Can Get Free Yellow Cab Service, Plus NYC Bus Strike Update

January 29, 2013 Leave a comment

I really hope the city is serious about reimbursing parents during this bus strike because after two weeks, car service is nearly surpassing our weekly grocery bill.

CLICK HERE to find out how the strike is affecting NYC special needs families as well as for information about how your child can get free yellow cab service to school if they are wheelchair bound. CLICK HERE to get the latest update on the strike itself – sounds like some special needs buses went back on the road today with replacement drivers, and that there will be some further announcement by Union 1181 tomorrow at 10:30 (hopefully that this madness is coming to an end).

Happy Special Camp Fair Day!

January 26, 2013 Leave a comment
One of my favorite resource events ever, and especially pertinent as we consider trying a summer camp for James this year.
—————————–
You’re invited to RCSN’s FREE Special Camp Fair TODAY!

camp fair sun logo for eblast 2Camp Fair Ad 2013 internal bottom
Winter is the time to think about summer camp. Camps open registration in the next few weeks, and space and financial assistance is limited.

You can meet experts from over 70 summer programs serving children and teens with special needs at the Special Camp Fair TODAY, from 11 AM to 3 PM, at Church of St. Paul the Apostle, Manhattan (see map below). Camp Fair is a “come as long as you want to” event. Come whenever you can and stay as long as you need to.  Read more…

Bus Strike Meeting in Brooklyn Tomorrow – 1/24/13

January 23, 2013 Leave a comment

I don’t know about you, but this car service thing is getting a little old (and expensive)… If anyone has heard anything feel free to post updates in the comments section. If not, maybe this meeting is for you!

———–

Brooklyn Parent Center
Brooklyn Center for Independence of the Disabled (BCID)

—————————
Questions about the Bus Strike?
Get them Answered by the NYC Department of Education
Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT)

———————————-
Thursday, January 24, 3:30pm – 5:00pm
Brooklyn Heights Auditorium
Brooklyn Heights Library
280 Cadman Plaza West Read more…

2012 WEGO Health Activist Awards

December 15, 2012 Leave a comment

I feel blessed that we have a “health hero” in our lives to nominate – do you? Here’s the info below:

Announcing the 2012 Health Activist Awards!

We’re excited to share the 2012 WEGO Health Activist Awards Program. This year, we’ve extended the nominations period and added some exciting new award categories.  Now’s your chance to recognize someone who has inspired you, helped you, or even changed your life this year – be sure to recognize all of your health heroes before the nomination period closes on December 31st!

Click to Nominate a Health Activist

Not sure who to nominate but want to stay up to date on all the latest Health Activist Awards Information & News?  Join the WEGO Health Network at www.wegohealth.com or sign up to be on our Judging Panels!

Thanks for participating in the WEGO Health Activist Awards – and for helping us to empower those who make a difference every day.

Cheers,

Susan Mees
Vice President, Community Relations

What Comes After Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

November 27, 2012 Leave a comment

I didn’t know either, so click here to read about the first ever Giving Tuesday. I’m proud to live in the city that came up with this idea!

I love this idea – a day for charities to get as much attention as cheap electronics and free shipping (both things that I also enjoy). So to commemorate the occasion and kick off our own season of giving at home, we’ve made our first holiday donation to Best Day Foundation.

Best Day Foundation enables children with special needs to build confidence and self-esteem through safe, fun adventure activities including Surfing, Body Boarding, Kayaking, SUP (stand up paddling), Outrigger Canoeing, and Snow sports.

They achieve this by empowering communities across the country to offer special days at the beach and snow to children with special needs. Best Day provides back-end services, support, training, and business resources to ensure that safe, self-sufficient programs are created. The program is funded through donations, grants and sponsorships. 

What charities are you giving to this year? Give them a shout out in the comments section.

Happy Giving!

Family & Professional Resource Fair this Thursday 11/29 – not to be missed!

November 27, 2012 Leave a comment

The Family & Professional Resource Fair for parents, family members, people with developmental disabilities and professionals.
———————
Thursday, November 29, 2012
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Church of St. Paul the Apostle
405 West 59th Street at 9th Ave.
Free Admission!
Info from over 90 service providers
—-
8 invaluable workshops
—-
free Manhattan Family Support  Directory
5-minute massage for caregivers and caregiver gift bag
Spanish and Chinese interpretation at the workshops
free cash raffles

Don’t Miss Your Chance To Snag Discount Tickets To Elf, The New Broadway Musical – An Autism Friendly Performance

November 18, 2012 Leave a comment

I know, the title is really long, but trust me when I say that these tickets will be gone by tomorrow. Not only is the performance special needs friendly, we took our entire family to one of these shows last year for around the cost of one regularly priced ticket. And since Elf is our family’s all-time favorite Christmas movie, you can count on a little friendly competition in the ticket rush tomorrow!

TAP Autism Header

Read on to find out how you can snag tickets!

Read more…

Top Ten: Ways You Can Help NYC Recover From Hurricane Sandy

November 16, 2012 Leave a comment

I’ve been meaning to get this Top Ten out since Sandy hit, but between Ian having unexpected surgery (long story, crazy month) and Adam dismantling the keyboard one letter at a time (if I’m missing any d’s, g’s, f’s or v’s it’s because I didn’t whack them hard enough) it got pushed to a back burner. But I feel so strongly about getting this post out that it’s worth carving out 15 more minutes of free time to get it done. Don’t worry, nobody is tied to a chair (by me, anyway).

Though we sustained some damage to the house it is absolutely nothing compared to what many in our area have gone through and lost. We brought a slew of toiletries, canned goods and warm clothing to our local councilman’s office and hope to help out more at nearby shelters over the coming weeks. It has been absolutely stunning and uplifting to see the neighborhood pull together to help each other in ways big and small, and many of you have emailed asking how you can help too. Sometimes the hardest part with a disaster of this magnitude is knowing where to start. For me, it’s important to know that the donated goods, money, time and effort are getting where they are most needed and not lost in red tape.

So here are ten ways that you can help others recover from Sandy, mostly focused on the NYC area because of where we are. Feel free to add your own ideas or links in the comments section – the more the merrier!

1. Donate good old fashioned $$ – cash is most needed and effective in some situations. Click here for information about donating to the Mayor’s Fund to Advance NYC.

2. Visit/ donate to a local shelter. For the complete list of shelters around the city right now, go to http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/2012/hurricane_shelters.html. You can also join https://www.facebook.com/LetsGetNYCBackonHerFeet.

3. Donate clothing or goods. Here is an excellent site that matches your donation with specific needs.

4. Donate space – Airbnb.com is hosting listings for homeowners who are opening up their houses and apartments for Sandy victims for free. https://www.airbnb.com/wishlists/donated-sandy-housing

5. Live in an area without power or where houses have been washed away? Make a charging station on your front porch – a simple thing like an extension cord and outlet can provide many with a way to charge phones and devices needed to keep in touch with their families, friends, and jobs.

6. Donate food – drop off at numerous neighborhood locations, or if you don’t live in the area, try Met Council or City Harvest.

7. Donate blood – call NY Blood Centers for a location nearby at 1-800-933-2566.

8. Help clean up a park (that tree pic in Bay Ridge is around the corner from us).

9. Donate service – construction, medical, legal, transportation, cooking (what are you good at?)

10. Visit http://www.nycservice.org for the most up-to-date options.